Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Because of the inherently dangerous nature of commercial trucks, there are a number of regulations in place to help prevent truck accidents. Unfortunately, truck drivers and employers often ignore these safety rules in an effort to make more money, which puts your safety in jeopardy. When truck accidents do happen, the consequences are often far more severe and are all too often the result of someone else’s negligence.
Some of the most common causes of truck accidents include:
- Fatigued and drowsy truck drivers who become inattentive behind the wheel because they ignore federal service hour regulations that mandate the amount of time off and rest they need to safely operate their vehicles.
- Truck drivers operating under the influence of drugs, most commonly amphetamines that are intended to keep drivers awake.
- Overloaded or inadequately secured cargo that throws off a truck's balance and center of gravity.
- Aggressive or inexperienced drivers who are reckless on the road by speeding, changing lanes sporadically or following too closely behind other vehicles.
- Drivers who are distracted while driving, either because they are texting, using GPS devices or even filling out paperwork.
Despite so many safety regulations and guidelines designed to prevent these situations from occurring, these are still some of the most common reasons that truck accidents occur. If you've been injured in a truck accident caused by the negligence of the truck driver or trucking company, the attorneys at Wilson Law, P.A. will fight aggressively to help you recover the compensation you deserve.
Please contact Wilson Law, P.A. using the form on this page or call (919) 800-0919 today to schedule a free truck accident consultation. We serve clients in Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, and throughout North Carolina.