According to a recent report released by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, millennial drivers engage in more risky behavior such as speeding, running red lights and texting while driving than drivers in other age groups. The report was based on a survey of 2,511 drivers. Some of the findings include:
- Millennials are almost twice as likely to text or email while driving compared with older drivers (59.3% to 31.4%)
- Approximately 50% of millennials admitted to running a red light even though they had time to stop safely, while other drivers engage in this behavior 36% of the time
- Approximately 12% of millennials felt it was acceptable to drive at least 10 mph over the speed limit in school zones, while only 5% of other drivers found this behavior to be alright
In addition to these trends, the AAA report found that many drivers are hypocritical regarding their actions versus their beliefs:
- Roughly 78% of drivers found reading a text or email while driving to be "completely unacceptable," yet 40.2% of drivers admitted to engaging in this behavior
- 80% of drivers claim that drowsy driving is "completely unacceptable," yet nearly 30% of drivers admitted to driving while falling asleep at the wheel
This report was released shortly after a National Safety Council (NSC) report declared that the United States has just experienced the largest 2-year spike in traffic fatalities in over 50 years. Clearly, the dangerous driving habits of our nation's drivers, particularly those of the millennial generation, are contributing to the rise in car accidents that we're experiencing.
If you've been injured in a car accident caused by the negligence of another driver, you may be entitled to recover compensation for your damages. The attorneys at Wilson Law, P.A. have been fighting for the rights of car accident victims in the Raleigh area for nearly 20 years, and we'll stand by your side every step of the way to help you hold the negligent driver accountable for your injuries.
Please contact Wilson Law, P.A. using the form on this page or call (919) 800-0919 today to schedule your free car accident consultation. We serve clients in Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill and throughout North Carolina.